No Need to Wear a Matching Sweatshirt

 Here, my routine is much more complicated than at home. There I either put on my black sweats or my blue sweats. No need to look outside. It's winter. I wear sweats.

Here, I meander out to the porch where Philip has coffee waiting. I squint towards the Atlantic - fog, mist, rain, clouds, sun? Depending on what I see I have my choice of 3 outfits in the suitcase. It's all mix and match so the 3 outfits morph into endless possibilities before my 2nd sip of coffee. I still have the NYT crossword/vertex to contemplate. Its daunting.


Yesterday it rained, not showers but serious coming at you sideways rain. Phil made a run to the grocery store - I wanted ice cream. Otherwise we drifted from porch to living room to bedroom. The temperature stays between 72*-85*.


This morning was overcast while we walked Smathers Beach. The past several weeks PB's hummed, whistled or sang "My Blue Heaven." Philip is always singing, it's the background noise of our lives. Usually he combines 2 or 3 songs and makes up words so "Blue Heaven" was distinctive. On the plane from Miami he says "Tuesday we're eating at Blue Heaven." Aha! The light bulb goes on.

And Tuesday, that's where we are. He suddenly remembers nothing about it (turns out he's remembering a different place.) Me? It looks exactly the same as several years ago. We can't find parking so I get out to grab a table. Then the texting begins:

Where are you?

I'm across from the entrance, 45 min wait and we ARE waiting!

Where's that?

Across from Blue Heaven entrance.

That's where I am.

No you're not, come on around.


This is an island 2x4 miles. He finally locates me, announcing he found parking for a mere $17 for 2 hours and we're going to spend half of it walking and waiting for a table. Hmmm, how about you get us a couple of drinks? $20 for these 2:


Were finally seated; worth the wait. A band playing, chickens, dogs wearing sunglasses, interesting people - the Key West vibe.


I had lobster grilled cheese, Philip had chicken salad and we shared a tart yummy slice of Key Lime pie. Life is good.


Tomorrow it's the butterfly sanctuary then Cuban coffee.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flutterbyes

Escape