Escape





I usually don't blog about these simple Get Way excursions but this being the 2nd year of Covid Isolation and a brutal 10 winter days; I'm happily sharing my delight.

We made this reservation several months ago and i regretted it since. What were we thinking? We made it this far, surely we can go a little longer? We need to stay safe. Nowhere in Florida appears save.

We both got our 2nd Pfizer vaccines last week.

While i fretted PB busied himself planning The Escape. Announcing if Uber can't get to us he'll walk the 1.5 miles to the airport, dragging his suitcase. No wait, new plan - he'll walk without a suitcase and buy clothes. Or we could meet Uber at the hotel parking lot or .... It was akin to listening someone sing "99 bottles of beer on the wall."

His reason  for worry? A windchill expected at 0* and a driveway covered with 5" of snow ontop 1.5" of ice - potential fall waiting to happen.

Our flight is 7am; we live 1.5 miles from the airport - we cleared TSA at 5:45. Why? Because I live with a French. After 40+ years together, my friends and family understand the drill. Never be on time if you can arrive extra, extra early.

We board our dinky, old American Embraer which was not full but everyone was packed into the middle together. I wore 2 masks and tried not to breathe during the 2.25 hrs to Miami. Big airport; trains not working. According to my Fitbit we walked 4,700 steps from our C gate to the E gate. Social distancing at both airports was realitively easy; i never felt crowded.

My secure feeling evaporated arriving at Key West airport. It's a 30 min flight from Miami, the arrival room is maybe 2,500 sq ft; 4 planes arrive at once; passengers from yesterday's flight were returning to pick up luggage which hadn't cleared Dallas the day before (American Airlines is heavily into blaming Dallas weather for whatever complaint a passenger makes). The car rentals are in the same room, which is where PB headed as I went for suitcases. 1.20 hrs in line to get a car. The poor clerk said Covid rules require complete sanitization of each car - while you stand for over and hour in a room with several 100 people; packed like sardines.

I managed to get our carryon and 2 suitcases outside and found a bench. The air, the sun, mostly happy people. I was greeted by this fine fellow.
 I'd forgotten about the ever present Key West chickens that roam the streets and are very protected.

Eventually PB emerges, in a surprisingly good mood, which wasted the time i spent practicing on how I'd listen to him fuss but wouldn't comment but be patient - even if it killed me.

As it turned out, this was the time to walk, lugging our suitcases. The airport is 1.4 miles away. Oh and did i mention our little Toyota rental has one AC setting - extremely hot.

We have arrived! We're thrilled to be here. Main rooms all open onto a large porch with views of the Atlantic, Smathers Beach is a few steps away, everyone in the condo complex is masked and social distancing.

Comments

  1. A black speck, Is that Cuba I see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty close. PB was hopeful Biden wld reverse Trumps ban and we cld go for a day trip - Not - Not with Covid.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for allowing us to travel vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been ordering food delivery once a week from a local chef, and in honor of your Key West trip I have put in my order for two slices of key lime pie this week. Let me know how yours tastes (with soft ocean breezes and palm trees). I'll let you know how ours is (with snow on the ground and chill wind).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flutterbyes